PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nora Roberts for Congress

The hay day of lobbyist lunches and free tickets to sporting events has long since passed for Hill staffers, but one perk that remains is the privilege of borrowing books from the Library of Congress.


Hill staff can reserve a book  online, then it's delivered straight to their office. A phone call is made to schedule the book's return.  I count this as the best perk of my job, and I request books from the LOC nearly every week.


I guess that because the request is going to the LOC, the prettiest building in town, the home of all the smart government researchers, that there's a little weight behind the borrow. That's why when I do check out things like Rob Lowe's bio and anything by Nora Roberts I do so with just a tad of shame. Not that I'm embarassed to admit reading those kinds of books...but to check them out from the Library of Congress? I mean, I do it, but it feels a little frivolous.


Or at least it did...



Here I was worried that every other Congressional staffer was checking out The Art of War, memoirs of former Presidents or something by Peggy Noonan at least. Nope. Vision in White is wait listed!!!! That means I'm not the only  pseudo-intellectual borrowing romance novels of the most common sort from our country's greatest library.


I can't tell you how much better this makes me feel about msyelf.

5 comments:

Leigh Powell Hines said...

That's funny. That is a good perk.

I cannot believe your air is still out. That is misery.

Dee Stephens said...

That's funny! Like I've told you I was embarassed I read that Jaycee Dugard book!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

That's funny, but what a great benefit!

Anonymous said...

When will you post again ? Been looking forward to this !

Tricia said...

I love that you are getting your books from there. Definitely makes checking out a book more exciting. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails