PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Know I Like My Chicken Fried



"I think the girls are going to come up on Wednesday to watch the awards show," I declared to Mr. W.
"No problem, I'll find something to do," he said.
"I might pull out the new deep fryer and make chicken."
"Oh...well, I may stick around for that."

For as long as I can recall, three Tennessee girls who became besties in Washington, DC, have gathered annually to watch the CMA Country Music Awards on TV. You may think this sounds redneck. We think this sounds fabulous.  While we could always just order pizza, well...What Would Loretta Do? What Would Dolly Do? They would have a custom menu, of course. Then so too shall we!


The menu has varied from year to year, but it's typically inspired by the artists and the songs nominated, or just some yum country eatin'.  Because did I mention that when we're not gathering in the name of grits, we also do very glam things like see films and meet at bistros? We're very well rounded, yet still so downhome.

I got this marvelous monster for a wedding gift...

What better excuse to whip out the deep fryer than a country music awards show, especially since one of the Song of the Year nominees is called Chicken Fried? The only problem...I've never fried chicken before.  Don't judge me.  I know all the best places to buy it, but frying it up with my own elbow grease...well, this is going to be an adventure. I'm giving it a try tonight knowing this effort could be a country song just waiting to happen...

Here's a sneak peak* at tonight's VERY country CMA Awards Show menu (with recipes stolen from some of my favorite bloggers):
For Red Carpet Watching-
Hot Onion Dip & Winter White Sangria
For Showtime-  
Fried Chicken
Sweet Potato Fries

For Eating During Every Commercial Break -
Red Velvet Cake Bites

I'll share photos and recipes later this week!


*By peak I mean there is always a possibility that I could spend my day off rewatching time and again the season finale of Mad Men, run out of time before the girls arrive and be forced to purchase something instead of make, with love, that which I have planned. But, as always, I have the best of intentions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails